That was quick. Woke up this morning confident that a conference call would result it a bunch of wheels going in motion to bring this 10 year old girl to us.
Turns out, a supervisor said otherwise. She needs more help than a family with no experience (like us) can give. I'm pretty proud of Lori and I for trusting our gut instinct. That's exactly what we were going to discuss with the case workers.
I can't save all the children. Just one....maybe two. And I want my child and Lori and I to have every opportunity to succeed. If I adopt a child that is not the "right fit" for us, not only am I cheating the child we adopt, we're also cheating the child that we were supposed to adopt....and we're cheating ourselves. Lori and I have a lot to give....we just want to make sure it's the right stuff to give to the right child.
Back to the drawing board. We're getting a visit from our case worker on next Wednesday. Looking forward to it!
p.s. I will say - Lori and I are shockingly business-like with the last two "no's". We haven't really been emotional, even behind the scenes. The emotion comes from switching gears. Last week, we were playing out scenarios of what it would be like to have a 2 year old in the house. This week, a 10 year old. Next week, maybe it will be TWO kids. Who knows?! That's the roller coaster aspect of all this.
No comments:
Post a Comment