Monday, August 24, 2009

Another big day

I sent Preston an e-mail last night about our weekend. I also requested an update on the status of them staying permanently.

I got my answer.

If we choose, when the kids come for an overnight over the labor day weekend, they can just stay. Wow. In less than two weeks, our long journey to be parents will begin (like it hasn't already). It's a little overwhelming. So much to do - so little time.

Lori and I talked about it tonight in our nightly walk and the talk took some turns that I still don't like. We're having trouble on what's best for the kids. Lori thinks I want to parade them around as little trophies in front of every living soul. I think she wants to lock them in their rooms and keep them a secret from the world. Both are exaggerations, but that's the basics. Both of us think the other's idea is super tramatic for the kids. I just want them to be normal kids. When we walk down the street, I want the "Who do you have there with you?" questions to be over as soon as possible. I just want to be identified as a family. Lori doesn't want anybody in our business. It's nobody's business who the kids are or how we got them.

I don't know. I know the kids will answer these questions for us when they get here. Most of our worry will disappear once they are here. We both agree that we just want these kids to be as happy as possible and we don't want to fail them. Who knew that when we started this, breaking the news to our families would be the most difficult part? It really has been. My parents and her parents are upset that they can't talk about things. They want to brag on their grandchildren like they were just born. I know we're protecting the kids. I know we're protecting us. But we're also protecting them. I don't want them to say something that would hurt the kids. I don't want them to be hurt if something happens and we don't get them.

But....to say we aren't over-the-moon excited about the news we got tonight would be silly. Of course we are. It means the kids can be enrolled in school the Tuesday after Labor Day. Lori is home so she'll have time to set things up. I'll take a day or two off to help I'm sure. But wow. It's really here. This is really going to happen. There's always a chance the court could swoop in and change things, but right now, even the pessimist in me doesn't see that happening. We read the case.

So much to do. So little time.

No comments: