Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Part 2 - The first Meeting

......and here we go.

Tonight we went to the local CPS office (all of a mile from our house) to attend an informational meeting on what is involved in becoming a foster/adoptive parent. We really didn't know what to expect. We figured it would be a lady with forms that was pissed off to be there so late telling us to call back tomorrow for real information.

Instead, it was very positive. There were about 15 couples (and some single folks) filling this room. Two of the case workers from CPS, one foster parent, and one lady from a private adoption agency were there and had a video and presentation. I learned that there are a lot more people interested in doing a lot more than just adopting.

One couple behind us had adopted 6 kids already and had let their licensing lapse and were just there to go through the training courses again. They are interested in adopting a sibling group of three. Then possibly another one. Another couple was interested in just a brand new baby. Another couple just wanted to foster. The CPS workers really seemed to push fostering. Almost like adoption was just another option.

We really liked the two CPS workers though. I think we would both be happy to work with them in some fashion. One of them is teaching the classes (called PRIDE) over an 11 week period starting on January 5th. Ten three-hour classes and an eight hour class mixed in. Then several inspections of our home. Then a home study. I sat in the meeting thinking my wife was getting overwhelmed. I expected her to grab my arm and lead me out of there.

But that didn't happen. She is actually more excited than before the meeting. It all seems doable. It's real now. We're doing this. We're going to spend some time filling out the application and trying to register for the classes starting tomorrow. The next big question I guess is - What do we want to be licensed for?

We thought, before the meeting, that it would be "Adoption Only". If they want to plop a brand new baby in our laps, we're ready, right? They have hundreds of babies just waiting to be picked up.....and in this economy, it's a buyers market. Turns out - no. It's rare that they have newborns that are placed. You could almost feel the frustration of the couple to our left. But Lori and I are much more open minded I think. If there is a two, three, or four year old - I think we'd both be fine with that. We want to be parents. If the "diaper run" time is a bit short or non-existent, I don't think we'll shed to many tears.

No. I think we both realized it when we heard them mention it. "Foster/Adoptive with Legal Risk children." Because we don't have any parenting experience, fostering will greatly increase our chances of having a child placed with us. Eighty percent of fostered children are adopted by the foster parents. Legal Risk children are children with a low chance of being returned to their birth parents (or extended family) for one reason or another. We would still have to foster a child for a minimum of six months, but after the parental rights were terminated, chances are, we could adopt quicker.

At least thats my understanding of it. There was a lot of information thrown out for specific cases that didn't have anything to do with our own. Out of state kids, teen kids, special needs kids and the assistance associated with them.

So....two steps down - 998 to go. Now it's off to fill out paperwork. From what I understand, I'll be doing a lot of that for the next six to ten months.

2 comments:

Parkie said...

you are correct. if you foster first and the child is already placed with you the Guardian ad Lidem is more apt to recommend you to the court. plus parental termination is such a long process - I'll be truthful Cassie's took two years - the courts want to make sure the parents have every chance first - you enjoy a longer period with your child.

Steve said...

It was a gentle slap in the face from the very beginning of our process with CPS. In the big scheme of things, with the state, the child, the birth family, etc - It was clear that the foster parents, while super-important, are the lowest person on the totem pole.

In a perfect(er) world, the foster parents are just a way station while the birth parents fix their problems. The ultimate goal of CPS is to get these kids back with the parents. We've put our egos way back on the back burner for all of this.