Sunday, December 28, 2008

Approved and Public

Christmas has come and gone. The day before Christmas, we got our "approval" for the PRIDE classes in the mail. The approval alone wasn't a big deal. But it did mean that we were committed to going to the classes and that we needed to tell our parents what was going on since we will be unavailable on Monday nights for the next several weeks.

We told my family first over Christmas dinner. My mother acted as if Lori was pregnant and we had to explain what it was that we were announcing. They are happy for us. My brother's daughter, Mackenzie, is their pride and joy and because of the situation of them taking care of her, I don't think any child we bring into this world or adopt would break that bond. Hell....I don't want to. But, Mackenzie represents so many things for my brother and sister-in-law and my parents. This adoption is for Lori and I. I was glad that my family accepted it like they did. Betty works with older foster kids at school and was concerned about that. She thought it was good that we're focusing on younger children.

Today we went over to Lori's parents to see her aunt, uncle, and cousin that I'd never met and she hasn't seen in over 10 years. It went well. After they left to go back to Austin, Lori felt it was a good time to tell them. I was ready to leave, but any move forward in any way is a good thing. So, we announced it.

My mother-in-law.....it's a long story. She doesn't react in what society calls "expected." Lori is her main priority and to think any different, even though Lori vehemently denies it, would be silly. Lori is an only child by design. Lori is a strong independent woman - but Lori's mom views her as a small child with a deadly illness. Lori isn't sick. Lori has the same aches and pains as just about all of us. Just because she takes a pill for her thyroid doesn't mean she's dying.

Lori's mom's first question (after a brief dramatic pause) was "Have you two discussed this?" I think what she was really saying was "Why haven't you discussed this with me before now?" She's worried that we're going to get a newborn with medical expenses that will sink us all. She's worried that we don't know what to expect. She's worried that her daughter will break down physically at some point and she'll have to (and a little part wants to) take care of the baby/toddler/young person/teen.....whatever.

It took awhile, but we got there. Thirty minutes later I think we satisfactorily answered all her questions. The bottom line is, we have no excuses for NOT doing this. We have the house, we work close to home with accommodating jobs, we are just ready. I've been happy with the gusto Lori has in all of this. She's not just ready, she's READY.

January 5th is our first class. That's a week from tomorrow. I'm super excited.

No comments: