Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Homestudy DONE!

We had our 5 o'clock meeting. Lori and I combed over our homestudy to make sure there was nothing in there that would make us seem like creepy people. We both think we're wonderful people with a great family and a great home. But, how would a stranger who just met us perceive us and our home and, most importantly, our ability to raise children?

Turns out - pretty darn well, actually. We were quite pleased with out we are perceived. Turns out, I'm a goof-ball and Lori is "serious." When compared to me, most people are serious and reserved. In social situations, Lori sits back and watches me goof in front of everybody. But, that makes for a good team it seems. There was nothing negative that I wouldn't want any parent, case-worker, or child to read. Our perceptions of ourselves are actually pretty accurate I think.

And....we're officially in the game. Our study has been sent to our first prospective child. Because of privacy issues, and the fact that nothing may turn out from this, I hesitate saying too much. But, our caseworker immediately thought of us when she got word that this child was available for adoption. And, to be honest, even though there are some serious issues that are to be overcome, we both agreed that this particular case suited us very well. Now, our file goes to the child's caseworker along with an undetermined amount of others. It could be 3, it could be 3000 other families that are submitted. Then, once we have been selected as a "finalist", new things happen. Until then, we go through this "Here's a kid....want us to submit you" process over and over.

It's just exciting that we're finally IN the game.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

This is great. I hope everything keeps moving along for you.