Since we were licensed last week, we've had an appointment to go in to the office and actually read our home-study. That appointment has always been today at 5 pm.
We've been waiting for a couple of months to see what it says. Lori and I think we have the best possible environment for a child. Does a lady that has been doing this for 20 years agree? We're certain that there is nothing "bad" in our study. But I'm sure it's not as good as we perceive it to be. So, we'll go in with an open mind. We know we were licensed.....so nothing in there can be THAT bad.
And then today around 11 am, I got an e-mail from my case worker. She got a file of a little six year old boy and gave us the basic information. So, tonight, as soon as we give our o.k, our file will be in front of his caseworker as the potential "foster parents." The case is such that it will probably be an adoption situation. Because of privacy laws, I hesitate to say much more. He's in CPS custody for some good reasons and even without meeting him, he's got some emotional obstacles to overcome. If it all works out and he gets to stay with us, it's not going to be easy on any of us. But, as far as what we were expecting - to say that Lori and I aren't a little excited and haven't put a few horses before the cart would be silly.
We know this is just the first of possibly hundreds of case files that we'll see. But this is the first and this is a REAL kid that needs our REAL help. It was emotional reading his mini-file to see how he ended up where he is. I called Lori and she got even more emotional. We both caught ourselves quickly and realized we were both at work......and realistically, the chances are still small that we'll ever even meet this child.
But....things are happening. That's all I've wanted from this from the beginning. I write this stuff here to remind myself how much I'm looking forward to the steps that are to come as well as how much I've enjoyed the entire process up to this point.
Yesterday, I took a walk by myself in the woods. A 5 mile hike up and down some pretty rugged country. I took my GPS and did some geo-caching. I did it by myself on purpose. I was scouting to see if I could do it again with a child in tow. I've got such plans for things to come. And, I'm realistic enough to know, my plans may be all thrown to the side to meet whatever challenge we're faced with.
I'm almost glad we got this e-mail today and not last week or yesterday. Here I am again - so excited I don't think I could sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment