Tonight was a pretty good class. We seem to get smaller and smaller each week. There are 11 of us now. We're bonding a lot more and there are a lot more personal stories being shared. We raced through the agenda and a lot of the class was spent with a lot of stories of what people had been through.
Marlene, our co-instructor, has been invaluable I think. She has fostered so many children, when someone has a question, it usually ends with a "What did you do Marlene?" And to her credit, she usually had to deal with the topic we are talking about in some credit and always shares. And tonight she brought up obscure problems. Sort of a "something to consider that you may not think about...." type problems.
At one point tonight, we had to role-play. Our scenario was of a 15 year old girl named Michelle who had been molested by her mom's boyfriend and put in a foster home. She was being coaxed by her foster mom to go to a visit with the birthmom. We had to act out a scene. Lori played the mother. Of course, I played Michelle. I did a lot of eye rolling and "whatevah"'s. We did pretty good. Sometimes I worry that we're a little dominating in our group. I don't know if Tammy and John mind so much. But I worry.
Next week we're off and then the Saturday following that we have an 8 hour class on Discipline. I can't say I'm looking forward to it. But....one more step. In the meantime, we're going to try to do CPR class, I have to get tested for TB, and a couple of other paperwork visits. I have to take an online class on Medical Consent Training. I'm probably doing that right after I finish this entry.
No comments:
Post a Comment