Monday, January 5, 2009

Class 1 - Connections

Tonight we had our first PRIDE class. Including us there are 5 couples and a mother/daughter team (her husband is a soldier in Iraq). So, 12 of us total. Our teacher is the same lady we've been working with from the beginning, Cary, which is a good thing. The volunteer co-teacher is a lady who has fostered and adopted many children. I think her name is Marilynn or something like that. I like them both a lot.

Tonight's class was very much an "introduction" to what's to come. A lot of questions were answered with "We'll cover a lot more of that next time." We did some "getting to know you" games and a lot of expectations were set. I can't say I learned a lot, but I did get a lot out of it.

At one point we watched a video (from like 1980) about fostering/adopting. After it was over we discussed it. Marilynn conveyed a story about a baby she fostered for six years. She told how the baby overcame some early abuse and right before she was going to adopt him, a grandfather who never knew he had a grandson came out of nowhere and although she didn't have to, she gave him up. I spoke up and asked how hard that was. We all teared up when she talked about how hard it was. It hit home for all of us that this isn't just any kind of foster/adoption happy family process.

On the way out of the door I asked, "So I just pick up a kid at the front desk now?" Good thing they knew I was joking. So far so good. I'm really excited to get to the meat-and-potato part of this - the homestudy. I think that's where we will excell. I can't imagine any case worker coming into our home and with the exception of a couple of easily corrected baby-dangers (firepoker at the fireplace and some small odds and ends) we have the situation that is IDEAL in every way. I'm trying not to be cocky about it because I know some case worker could come in and knock me on my butt about it. But, I don't think it will happen.

I found out we'll have to make a "photo album" of us and our house and our situation and hobbies and family. That's right up my alley. They want it to "stand out" from the rest. No problem. Maybe I can figure out a way to add christmas lights and batteries.

One down - seven to go.

No comments: